3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, is the process of making three dimensional solid objects from a digital file.
To get started 3D printing, first find or create a blueprint for the object you want to make. We recommend:
- Tinkercad – design your own object
- Thingiverse – download a ready-to-print design
- Blender – free advanced 3D modeling
- Cura – 3D printing software
Next, send it to the 3D printer. We have a Lulzbot Mini, which has a 6 x 6 x 6.2 inch print area and uses 3 mm HIPS filament. See the Lulzbot Mini in action in this video.
Ready to get started? Here are some 3D printing ideas:
- Design and print a pencil topper – Instructables
- Design and print a custom cookie cutter – Instructables
- 30 Useful Things to 3D Print – All About 3D Printing
- The Ultimate 3D Printing Cheat Sheet
We typically print in HIPS filament; for more information about filament options, please visit the MILL or contact us via the left sidebar.